Earlier today, I was reading an debate on www.babycenter.com about whether or not you should have "Santa" in your family on Christmas. And, I cannot believe how many people out there do not feel that parents should "lie" to their children and tell them about Santa, and they tell there children right off the bat that there is no such thing.
Here are a couple of the posts that I found. One person wrote, "We don't do the Santa thing (we are not Christian either). We think it's a poor lesson to teach a child, that an imaginary "magical" fat man is sneaking into your house and giving you whatever you want."
And another post says, "Under no circumstances are we doing Santa Claus with our children. I do not believe it is okay to lie to children, that is teaching them that is okay to lie if it is for a cutesy reason. Lying is never okay under any circumstances. I want my children to trust me. When I found out Santa was not real I was traumatized. I still resent my mother for that because she kept the lie up for years and even when I was like "Mommy please tell me the truth is Santa real?" She would lie and say yes. I lost all trust in her."
Are these people insane??? Traumatized? And losing all trust in your parents over Santa?? I loved the idea of Santa Claus as a child, and even when I got old enough to know better, I still pretended that there was a Santa, for my little sister, and the millions of other little kids out there who DO believe. And I certainly was not traumatized in any way! Of course, the website also had many many quotes of people who feel the same way as I do, and some people had mixed feelings about it..... but come on, people - it is Christmas! Santa is more about the spirit of believing and giving, and not teaching this to your children is just crazy! Go Santa! Santa rocks!!!
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Amen sister, I can't imagine not having santa when I was growing up!
Post a Comment