Wednesday, December 13, 2006

He Won't Stop Crying....

I take back what I said a couple of weeks ago about Luke being a good baby. Not that I am calling him a "bad" baby either, but he is quickly turning into a fussy baby - just like Emmy was. Some days are better than others - for example, yesterday he fussed for the morning, then slept all afternoon, which was great - I got a ton of work done around the house! Today however.... he will not nap. He has dozed off a few times, but only for 20 minutes or so. I hold him, I put him in the Boppy pillow, I put him in his bassinet, blanket, no blanket, walked around with him.... nothing helps.
Well, nursing him 24/7 keeps him from crying. He will calm down and doze off as soon as I nurse him - but I know that he isn't hungry. And I seriously can't nurse him all day every day. I am already nursing him about every 1-2 hours.
Then I remembered this CD that we had when Emmy was a baby - it is a CD of white noise - sounds like riding in a car, a noisy restaurant, and a washing machine. Emmy always liked the vaccuum sound. We would play that sound, and she would instantly stop crying, and usually fall asleep. It is weird - and I don't get it - but it worked.
I dug the CD out of a box about 1/2 an hour ago. He was really crying at this point. I put him in his bouncy seat and played the "vaccuum song", and he immediately settled down. About a minute later, he was sleeping. He is still sleeping now. I keep repeating the vaccuum, afraid to stop it, because I don't want him to wake up. I need a break! And if listening to the annoying sound of a vaccuum running will do the trick, well, I guess that I can deal with that...
The good news is that Emmy's fussiness faded once she was about 12 weeks old. If the same is true for Luke, only 8 weeks to go....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, sorry to hear about that! That is so weird about the vaccumm sound!

Anonymous said...

I love that CD!!!!

Anonymous said...

Taylor and Emma were fussy babies, too...I never had a CD like that...I wonder if it would have helped. Hopefully it will continue to do the trick for you. =)

Kate said...

That's great that the same cd worked for them both. And great that you got a chance for sanity!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you found something to help him settle down. Lee has a baby Bethovan CD that helped him. I had him for the weekend last week and I dug it out again. With in 5 minutes he was asleep. It was great because you could tell by the look on his face that he was familiar with it. I will call you guys over the weekend. Uncle Mitch and I are thinking of driving up to see you for New Years. Aunt MO