I know that it was bound to happen sooner or later - my daughter is picking up on how to be a brat. Gone are the innocent toddler days, when the worse thing that ever came out of her mouth was "I am really really angry!". She is around other kids of various ages a lot more often now, and while I like to be social, and she loves to play with the other kids, she is also picking up on the not-so-good stuff.
We went to Baby R's 1st birthday party this afternoon. There were several kids there, all under the age of 10. Emmy, of course, does her best to keep up - and has a blast playing with them. However, when I start listening to conversations, I hear all kinds of "bad" stuff that I hate exposing Emmy to. One of the boys kept telling a girls that he was going to set her doll on fire with a lighter he had found (I confiscated the lighter). I also overheard something about killing a rabbit. Other kids were using words like stupid and hate. I know that these aren't "bad" words, but Emmy lives a pretty sheltered life - Ray and I don't curse, I monitor her TV watching, we even listen to family-friendly radio (Christian radio station).
Also, earlier today, Emmy was upset because I made her sit still to comb her hair. She was crying about it, and I said to her, "Almost done Baby." She turned around and looked me in the eye with an evil look and yelled "I am not a baby!!". I was shocked! She has never said that or yelled at me like that before! She has also been telling us "no" a lot when we ask her to do something, and deliberately not listening and ignoring us.
Like I said, I know that she will be exposed to real life at some point, whether it is with the neighbor kids, or when she starts school. I guess that I just hate to admit that my Emmy is no longer a baby (as she strongly pointed out to me today!). So far, she hasn't done or said anything too terrible, but I have a feeling that she will become a real "big kid" soon...
*sigh* :)
Saturday, November 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Oh no! Well you guys are great parents and will do well with all of the outside phrases I'm sure! Good luck! I love hearing about these stories though! Miss you!
I'm sure that was hard to hear her speaking with "attitude". As your sister in law said, you guys are definitely doing a great job and it will be ok!
Prayer!
I'll second Ray - prayer!
Hang in there. And don't feel badly. You're in a club with a lot of members. Would you like some wine?
It is always hard to see the innocence of babyhood lost. Unfortunately all of us grow up and leave the proctection and secure world of our parents home. Even if you are only 3 years old!! You venture away from just Mom and Dad and start talking and playing with other kids, and you are exposed to alot of things that you have not seen or heard before. You both are great parents and you will deal with all of the outside things that she will be exposed to. Hang in there. Unfortunately, there is much more to come!
Grandmom Noski
OH man, you're scaring me. In all your photos she looks so harmless and adorable! Let's go with it being "just a short phase". :)
Oh goodness do I know what you are talking about. We have had some good ones here. I swear at 3 they grow a mouth. I was recently talking to someone else who said the exact same thing about her 3. I think the "terrible twos" were cake compared to this new set of challenges.
(and thanks for stopping by) :)
Post a Comment