Sunday, September 09, 2007

St. Jude Address Labels

I don't regularly give money to charity. I have never really been in a financial situation that I was able to give money away, despite the thousands of worthy causes needing financial support. I really do wish I could help others more, but at this point in my life, giving loads of money to charity is not really an option.
If you are like me, you have received cute address labels designed by the kids at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in the mail over the years. If you are like me, you looked over them, thought that the labels were cute, maybe used a few on letters and bills going out, and didn't think much else about it. I realized that the address labels were a fund raising campaign for the hospital, but like I said, giving money was not exactly in my budget.
I had received an envelope of these address labels several weeks back, and the envelope got stuck in a pile of junk mail and forgotten about. I later found them again, and set them on the counter, where once again they were forgotten. Finally, I got around to opening the envelope of labels, and this time I actually read the letter from St. Jude inside.
The letter explained that the labels were from the kids at St. Jude, and they were hoping that I could help out financially by sending money. Nothing too surprising. However, this time I noticed one of the payment options was for giving just $10 to help.
That's it. $10. I typically spend more than that on lunch. And then I see my 2 healthy, happy babies and am struck with a feeling of gratefulness.
I have no idea what I would do if one of my children became ill. The kids at St. Jude are sick. Their families and friends have to deal with the prospect of their child dying and they have no control over the situation. My kids are running around my living room, hopping and singing, and there are lots of kids who are too sick to do that - and it suddenly hit me that I can easily give $10 to help St. Jude.
I know that my $10 isn't going very far, but if more people can give just $10 - well, that will add up. And I am sure that in the future I will give more than just $10. But every little bit helps, right?
After I mailed St. Jude my check, I went to their website to learn more, and I realized how much St. Jude does for kids with cancer and other life threatening illnesses. Since St. Jude opened in 1962, the hospital's research team has totally changed the way cancer is treated in children. Thanks to them and other advances in medicine, a child diagnosed with cancer, who at one time had only a 10% chance of survival, now has a 90% chance. Also, no child is turned away from St. Jude, even if he has no medical insurance. No one pays for treatment beyond what is covered by insurance, and those without insurance are never asked to pay.

Anyways, I know that this post got a little long, but it is something I feel strongly about. As a mommy with healthy kids, I want to help other families whose children are sick. You can easily donate to St. Jude on their website or the next time you get those cute stickers in the mail.

Have a good week everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right Missy. Seriously, what is $10 for such a worthy purpose? Good reminder...

Kate said...

Thank you for the reminder that a little can go a long way. It's so easy to forget sometimes.

KoernerVille said...

Just another reason why I love you, because you think about things like this!

Jen said...

You're awesome!!! Every little bit helps.

Anonymous said...

I just donated for the first to St. Jude's -- have always felt guilty about using the address labels and not donating. Thanks for this post!

Jennifer and Hollyn said...

Hi,
Thanks for posting this, I am glad that "normal" people are honest and yet think about donating to valuable causes. The kids at St. Jude do need those donations, but other children's cancer charities do also. Like Make A Wish. But I think donating to CureSearch is the best. Did you know 46 children everyday are diagnosed with cancer? Did you know our government spends 14 billion dollars on the space program and only 26million on childhood cancer research? And did you know St. Jude does turn children away? They will not take any child where there is no set standard of care, or protocol. They have turned many kids away, some who really need their help, but because it will make their numbers look bad, they refuse them. Overall the success rate for childhood cancer is about 70%, and 80% of children diagnosed with have metastatic disease, that is disease that has already spread to other areas. In adults that number is only 20%. We need more research, we need a cure, we need everyone to get on board with protecting all of our children, because you never know whose child will be next.
I ran across your blog by looking for purchasing address labels for a good cause. I am glad you donated and hope you and your friends and family find out more about the plight of many kids because someday one of your own children may come and home and tell you a classmate has cancer. Many childhood cancers affect the very young, most under five years of age. It is very hard to see a toddler with cancer, or a baby, or preschooler. When cancer hits a child, it hits the entire family and their schools. The effects are overwhelming.
Sorry for the long post,
cancer mom

hope said...

i am a caregiver of a wealthy senior citizen and she gets these and just tosses em out & says that she cant afford to donate.
i went on the st. jude website to order labels for myself but the address labels are nowhere to be found.
i am willing to donate for the labels (i thought they were cute!). so how do i get me name on the list and how do i take the wealthy tight-wad off the list?
thanx Hope S. evansville IN

Missy said...

Hope - I am not sure how I originally started getting the address labels, but I must have been on some sort of mailing list. After I donated, I get mail from them every few months or so. Sometimes it is just a letter expressing gratitude, or sometimes it is more labels, or a small notepad. My best guess would be to send in a donation - doesn't have to be huge, but whatever you want to give - and I am sure you would be added to their mailing list for future labels and such. As far as getting someone off their mailing list - the "wealthy tightwad" would probably have to call herself to be asked to be removed, and even then, she might still get mail from them - I have no idea how their system works!