Emmy talks a lot. And, as I would assume most 3 year olds are, she is very honest and blunt when talking to you. And she notices everything, and comments on everything. And she doesn't stop talking. Ever.
This afternoon, we stopped by the restaurant I work at. We sat down for a minute because Emmy wanted to eat some noodles. While she was eating, an elderly, very large woman with a cane wearing a huge bright flowery dress hobbled by us.
"Mommy!" she gasped, pointing at the woman.
I cringed, dreading what would come next.
"What a very beautiful dress!" she exclaimed with a smile.
The woman turned and smiled at her, and hobbled away, and I breathed a sigh of relief. I then saw through my daughter's non-judging eyes - she didn't see an unattractive old woman who had trouble walking. She didn't comment on her long, scraggly gray hair, or her big thick glasses on the tip of her nose. She just saw a pretty dress, and she wanted to show me.
Kinda puts things into perspective, doesn't it?


6 comments:
I'll bet she made that lady's day - we all know that "out of the mouths of babes" is always honest.
When I was pregnant, I commented on feeling lazy and not wanting to waddle back to a student, she replied with, 'yeah, you're gettin' pretty fat.'
(I laughed. It was great.)
Wow, what a beautiful post. I love how kids are so honest and kind at that age yet.
She is oh-so adorable.
Great Post! I miss you guys!
That was a close call - and a great lesson!!!
What a cute little girl. Sounds like my daughter. Three year olds can be so wonderful and they definitely help give you perspective. How wonderful.
Thanks for stopping by. :)
Indeed - seeing through the eyes of a child gives everything a different perspective! As always, I love your stories! LYL mom
Post a Comment