Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Terrible Threes

I think that whoever made up the phrase "terrible two's" didn't really have a clue.
Emmy is now nearly 3. Her birthday is in 10 days. And just over the past week or so she has turned from a cute, sweet 2 year old to an "I don't have to listen to you and and I can do whatever I want" nearly-3-year old. She has had more timeouts this week than she has in several months combined. It is driving me crazy!
"Come sit down and eat your lunch, " I say to her this afternoon.
"No, I'm not hungry right now." she replies, not even looking up from what she is doing.
"It's lunchtime." I say. "Come and sit with me."
This time she totally ignores me.
This is normal conversation around here. Now I realize that it is not terrible, she isn't screaming and throwing temper tantrums all day, or throwing her toys across the room. She is not mean to her brother or drawing on my walls in crayon. She just doesn't listen. She ignores us. She demands things. She is whining. She is taking a passive-aggressive approach to this terrible threes thing.
Ironically, she has been doing really well on potty training lately.
So, 2 years old was not so bad, but 3 years old might me more of a challenge. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally feel your pain. I am hoping that 4 is better?!? I will let you know when we get closer to Stevie's birthday!