Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stuffed Up

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am sick. I actually am feeling much better today, after a couple of days of misery. Usually when I get a cold, I tough it out during the day. I have tried lots of different cold remedies for congestion, but they either don't work, or make me sleepy. I usually take Benadryl at night - it works well for me, plus it make me very tired, so I typically sleep well. I need to find a new medicine that will actually help the sniffles and sneezing.
Even worse is when the kiddos are sick. We have also been battling their stuffy noses and coughs over the past few weeks. Since they are so young, there really isn't much I can do for them. I did buy Pook one of those vapor fan things, and it seemed to work pretty well for night time.

So, once again, I am looking for some input. What is your best cold remedies, for yourself or your kids? The stuffed up noses in my house need help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, most of the OTC cough/cold formulas have been pulled off of the market for infants due to safety concerns and lack of benefit. The current thinking is that kids under 6 should not be taking OTC cough/cold (especially those with decongestants). So, with all of that fun nurse stuff out of the way....

I would recommend a cool mist vaporizer, elevate the head of the bed, saline drops in the nose for congestion. For coughing fits, take the kids in the bathroom, turn the shower on hot and sit in the steam for a while. You could also try warm lemonade or warm apple juice for coughing fits. Last but not least, some honey for coughing in children over a year.

Hope that helps. I totally understand the misery of the kids being sick (Danny has started with new symptoms today...)