Monday, January 14, 2008

Pushing my Buttons


OK, so I am needing some input.
Ray and I have almost always agreed on everything when it comes to raising our kids. Most everything has never even warranted a discussion - we are just always on the same page; What he says goes and vice versa.
However, there is one little thing right now that we aren't agreeing on, and it is driving me crazy! Pook is at the age where he is getting into everything. Pushing buttons is one of his favorite activities. Our TV and DVD player are at the perfect height for him to stand there and continually push buttons. TV off, TV on, volume up, volume down, DVD tray out, channel up, then down. And at 14 months, Pook really is just learning what "NO" means, and usually he just smiles when you say it, and then does it again. And Baby R is the same age, so during the day I have 2 little ones playing with the buttons all day.
I wanted to get one of those TV button blockers - a plastic strip that stops all the button pushing, but the remotes are still able to work through it. They are inexpensive and easy, and would save me a lot of grief right now. However, Ray does not want one. He says that the babies just need to learn not to touch the buttons, and it will take a bit of work, but they will learn. He thinks that excessive baby-proofing is for lazy people who don't want to really watch their kids. And I agree with him to a point - our house is baby proofed so that it is safe, with most "NO" things (breakable or dangerous items) out of reach or put away. However, those TV buttons are neither breakable or dangerous, and pretty tempting to two 14 month-olds..
We didn't have this issue with Emmy. When she was this age, we were staying with my parents during our move from Michigan, and most of their tempting buttons are behind doors in the TV cabinet or out of reach. So, now I am not sure what is the best path to take.
So, what do you think? I agree with setting boundaries and having the kids learn what "no" means, but I am so tired of saying "no" every 5 seconds when it comes to the TV. Should we save ourselves the grief and get a TV button blocker, or keep working on teaching them not to push the buttons?

11 comments:

photomommy said...

I didn't even know they made those! I would have picked up one of those in a second.

Since we didn't have one, we toughed it out. It was really annoying, but eventually Emma lost interest in the buttons (although every once in a while she'll turn the tv off on us).

What really used to drive us nuts is when Emma would knock over our dvd tower (Taylor did it, too, but not as much). It was such a pain to clean up and after we did she'd just knock it over again.

Anonymous said...

Missy I know it is hard to keep saying no but it will take hold after awhile. If you put a button blocker on it that will just interest them more. We are going through that with Lee. He is 2 and now the interest is turning lights off and on. I think it is a boy thing. But you have a girl too so that proves me wrong. Good luck with it. Love Aunt Mo

Jen said...

*Laughing to self*

Get the button cover!

Get it!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Our son does the EXACT same thing. I didn't even know they made that contraption. Having said that, I'm buying one immediately.

I think if its' inexpensive and gives you a little sanity until he's over that phase - GOPHER IT. It's probably cheaper than if he actually broke a DVD player, right?

(Right). :)

Anonymous said...

Get the blocker. I had one for the TV and one for the DVD player. My theory on this one - especially for the DVD player - they can push a button and figure out that the sliding thingy comes out and goes back in. What happens if they break it or insert something they shouldn't? It only takes a second and replacing a DVD player is a lot more $$ than a guard. But I pick my battles. The TV is going to repeatedly get on my nerves having to say no 20 times an hour. Why not just save the frustration? So yeah long-winded me saying yeah I think they are worth it.

trudesign said...

I see both of your points completely. However LOSA does not have to deal with the kids all day, it's one thing and does not mean your lazy. I do see his point, but it's just one thing to make you more sane, DO IT.

KoernerVille said...

get the dang thing.... i dont care anymore ;)

Anonymous said...

We have one, and would never go back. Steven was totally the same way so it was a nice easy fix. My theory is that the word "no" starts to lose meaning when they hear it all day, especially when it is not an "important no" i.e. hot stove, etc.

The funniest thing is when they try to reach their hands in to get the buttons...make sure you put it close enough that little fingers can't get in.

Anonymous said...

I would get one as well. You're right. When you were here with Emmy, she could not reach anything but with your set up, all those little buttons are just too hard to resist. I agree get the blocker. Your sanity is worth it!! Love-Mom Noski

photomommy said...

This is so off subject, but it just cracks me up that the nickname "Noski" is still used in your family.

It's got to be what 12, 13 years ago when that started?

Anonymous said...

finally had a chance to catch up on your blog, Missy. I agree with you - get the cover! Love and miss you all LOADS!! Whama Tunu