Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I Give Up...

I am quitting potty training Emmy effective immediately. It has been a few weeks since I wrote anything about our potty training adventure, but we are still plugging away at it, every day, fighting Emmy to stop playing and go potty, cleaning up accidents, etc. She had been doing pretty well during the day, if I kept her naked from the waist down - she knew when she had to go, and if she didn't have a diaper or pull-up on, she would use the potty, several times a day. We had been doing pretty well, no major incidents for a week or so.
Until today.
I got out of the shower and asked Emmy if she needed to go, since it had been a while. Of course she said no, her usual answer, then she told me that I needed clean sheets on my bed. I warily asked her why, and she pointed to a big wet spot in the middle of my bed. Nice.
After a little chat about why we do not go peepee on the bed, or anywhere else, she gave me a hug, said that she was sorry. I walked out to the living room and found 2 more large spots on my carpet. She totally soaked her pink Sleeping Beauty chair, so much that it soaked all the way through to the carpet. The chair is ruined. I just used half a roll of paper towels soaking pee from my carpet.
It has been 3 1/2 months since we first started training, and I know that it takes time, but this is not working. Using incentives, like candy did not work either. I am out of ideas. I think that we need to quit for a while.
Ughhh. I needed to vent. I feel better now.
Good news, I have an interview tomorrow evening for a new job... I love my restaurant, but a lot of things are changing, we aren't very busy, and I don't make much money during the week, so I think that maybe it is time for a change. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Missy! How frustrating, to say the least!!! Maybe having to throw away her favorite chair will make her think twice. Also, maybe making her clean up her own messes (even though you'll have to clean up behind her) would be an incentive. All I can say is hang in there, don't give up - you really are almost there - honest! Can't wait to see you :)Love-Grandma Koerner (blogger wouldn't let me publish as usual)

Anonymous said...

Hey If you get the job I am coming up there to work with you during the summer!!

photomommy said...

I feel for you, really, I do. We are now in the 7th month of potty training Taylor and sometimes I just get so frustrated and want to quit, too. But I can't. If you give Emmy a break, more than likely, she'll start back on her own soon, but I'm afraid that if I give up on Taylor's training it will do more harm than good. We had a good day though, she was dry from 6 last night till about 4 this afternoon...