Monday, April 07, 2008

Sippy Cups

I love sippy cups. I love how I can hand one to my kids, and they bounce away into the living room and I am not worried about spills and messes. I love how I can throw one into my diaper bag when we go out. Easy, everyone is happy.

Emmy will be 4 this summer. In my opinion, too old for sippy cups. While I forced her to start using a "big-girl cup" a few months ago, she still asks to use "a cup with a top on it" every single day. And every single day we have to have the conversation about how sippy cups are for babies, and she is a big girl, blah, blah. She does still get one for her water or milk at night time.
But, I do really, really miss just being able to hand her the sippy cup during the day and we all go about our merry way. Now, I won't let her leave the kitchen with her drink, which she doesn't like, and she does spill her drink on occasion, causing a sticky floor and countertops for me to clean.

I want to know what you think. Is age 3 1/2 too old for a sippy cup? And I want to add that she does not sit there and suck on the cup all day. She drinks her juice/water/milk, and puts the cup away. My day is just so much easier with the sippy cup. Should I not worry about it and give it to her anyway? Or stick with my plan to keep her on the "big girl cup"? I am curious as to what you all think.....

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

we've also had those "Talks" about sippy cups for babies, etc..... bubbie still likes his cups. every once in a while, he'll ask to use his "big boy diego" cup, but VERY rare! i actually just bought him another sippy cup- the avent cup with the sports spout. i had told myself- no more sippy cups.... but i gave in. not sure what to do. i also enjoy the "freedom" of the cup and no spills. maybe we'll do regular cups at meal times and for snacks we'll do sippy cups? not sure. glad you brought it up though.

Sherry at the Zoo said...

My sister, still to this day, at all family functions buys disposable cups with lids for ALL of the family to use, young and old. In my mind, there is nothing wrong with a cup with a lid. My coffee cup has a lid. I personally wouldn't make it a big deal. There are bigger battles coming that are more important to fight (in my opinion which you can take or leave - LOL!) Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Kellan said...

I really don't think 3 1/2 is too old for a sippy cut - that's just me. But, if you think it is, there are other types of cups you might be able to use for more grown-up kids that work the same way - just keep looking. It is nice to not to have to worry about the spills - I agree!!!!

Thanks for stopping by - so nice to see you - take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how old Aaron was when he stopped with the sippies. Too long ago.

Both my girls use sippies. I have no plans to make the switch with either anytime soon.

I will probably start with Emma when she's around 4...about another year and a half. I'm not so sure about Taylor. She'll be 5 this summer, but the transition will be much more involved with her. We'll play it by ear and see what happens.

On a side note, the girls I babysit still use sippies. Miss J is almost 6 and Miss K just turned 4. I know that Miss J regularly drinks out of a "big girl" cup. I use sippies with all of them for the ease of things. Occasionally, she will ask for a "big girl" cup, and I let her use one.

I think using a big girl cup at meals is a great start, keep the sippies for snacktime... it's kind of like potty training, she'll make the switch when sh'e ready.

melissa rohr said...

for on the go you should try the spill proof "sippy cup" like cups with straws. then it is still more like a big girl cup and it is easy.

my z who is 4.5 still uses a sippy cup {or a cup with a lid} for certain times. it is just really convenient sometimes.

Unknown said...

Except in the car (a rare occasion), Lauren isn't allowed sippy cups anymore, but she's almost 5. I think I cut her off at 4. She's good enough that she can handle a big girl cup, even in the family after she's been reminded to be careful.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I got rid of sippy cups as soon as possible. But that is because I thought they were a pain in the rear to wash!

kim said...

didn't realize that my mom was still logged onto her gmail acct, so "vicky" is really kim.

Melissa said...

that is hard for me to comment on...because I my self use a sippy cup. Oh please don't laugh at me, but....I get thirsty in the middle of the night so I usually keep a glass of water by my bed...but I spill it too often in bed because I am groggy and out of it......SOOOO... I got myself a sippy cup so I wouldn't spill anymore. :)

But that is hard to you have to start weening the kids of binkies and sippy cups. They get sooo attached to them

Anonymous said...

We are in the same transition right now. As far as age goes, I think that is a completely personal decision. Once you do decide to ditch the sippy cups, you could always transition to some sort of a sports bottle for those times when Emmy wants to be out and about with her cup.

Anonymous said...

We have the same battles here. I don't let her use the sippies for meals and water, but I usually just let it go with juice because #1 - I hate messes, #2 - I don't need yet another reason to have a fight, #3 - Does it "REALLY" matter? Eh I don't know. They won't use sippies forever I figure. See the thing I struggle with is I can give her a sippie containing about 10 oz of anything and it's down in 30 seconds flat. Seriously I can just hear the frat boys cheering her on. *LOL* But when I give her a cup she just sips at it and barely drinks anything. It'll take her 3 hours to finish her milk from lunch. I think it's weird. My husband says she will drink when she is thirsty - I wonder if she's drinking enough since she drank SO much more before. Eh. Who knows. *L* I was helpful, huh?!

Toni said...

My daughter used a sippy until she was 5 and, I think, that was TOO old. I was a first time mom and didn't want the mess. This time around (TC is 15 months) we are trying to transition to the no-spill cups with straws already. My son prefers them and I don't want to have to break him from a sippy. Some straw cups are really amazing now; we often use them for the 8 yr. old because of her busy brother trolling around.

Good luck! (:

Jodi said...

I remember having some friends over when the kids were about 5 and 3. I handed out sippy cups to everyone, and the other kids were looking at the sippy cups--and at me--so strangely. I think they were a little offended (the visiting kids). I just had to laugh.

To me, it was more important that I didn't have a bunch of big messes to clean up all day long because of an open cup--I hate messes!

I would give the kids sippy cups when they were away from the confines of the table, and I would have them practice with the open cups when they were at the table.

It was for my own sanity.

Danielle said...

I am just about to start Eliza on sippy cups. I hadn't even thought of the fact that eventually she would have to be weaned off of them. It's always something. I think you should do whatever works for you. I like the previous post about using a sippy cup at night next to my bed. My cat is always knocking my cup over and spilling it everywhere.

greenkiddo said...

My 3.5 year old still uses sippies too. He gets a big boy cup usually when we sit down for a meal, but if we are out and about he usually has a sippy or one of those playtex straw cups. Bottom line, they don't spill. Also, he doesn't have an emotional attachment to one so I don't mind him using it. He likes to have water in his bed incase he wakes up thirsty, so that obviously has to be a sippy (he is a mouth breather). Anyway, unless its an addiction, I don't see a problem with sippys for a while longer!

Four Little Penguins said...

Hmmm. Something I never really thought much about. Somehow, we just made this transition without any thought on my part. But looking back, I can see that we did it in stages.
First, I love love love sippys. I hate messes and spills and having to worry about their clothes when we are out. But our problem was that the kids would wander around with their sippys and then come asking for a drink. So I would have to hunt through the house for the elusive cup.
Finally, I started enforcing the rule that they HAD to keep their cups at the table. They leave them there all day and I refill as necessary.
Then we got some cool plastic (lidless) cups at a party that they would ask to use. Now, I hardly ever give the 5 and 4 year olds a sippy. Only if we are going to drink in the car. And it isn't that much of an issue, because they are already used to drinking at the table.
We also all get lots of big-cup drinking practice when we brush our teeth, because I keep a regular cup in the bathroom.

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} said...

my daughter is 8 and a klutz. She uses a sippy cup or a cup with a lid and a straw ANYTIME she leaves the kitchen with liquid.