Thursday, June 14, 2007

Love You Forever

One of Emmy's favorite books for me to read to her is Love You Forever. It is a sweet book, and Emmy helps me read it: "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be".
As sweet as it is, it also creeps me out a bit. It is about a mother's love for her baby, and she always sings this song to him while he is sleeping. As the baby gets older, she still sneaks into his room, picks up the boy and sings the song. Then, when the baby is all grown up and moves away, the mother would strap a ladder on the top of her car and drive across town, break into her son's window and sing him the song. Is it just me, or is that a bit creepy?
As much as I love Ray's mom, and they are very close, it would freak me out a bit if she would occasionally climb into our bedroom window and sing a lullaby to Ray in the middle of the night....

3 comments:

Kate said...

I feel the same way about this book. It really reminded me of an ex's mom, and I was pretty sure that yes, she would break into the house and sing him a lullaby. The sentiment is sweet...and a tiny bit sour!

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy - I agree with you wholeheartedly that this book is a little strange in the end. In fact, when I was reading it to Emmy while I was there, I skipped over that part (I didn't remember that part from when Ray was little); that book was given to me by a friend when Ray was born. Anyway, rest assured that I will not be sneaking into your bedroom to sing Ray a song! However, I will "love you forever" :) Mom

Jen said...

I hate this book, only because some woman gave it to me as a baby shower gift right after my husband's mother died. Not very sensitive.