Thursday, March 22, 2007

Preschool

It seems as though lately I have heard lots of talk about preschool. A couple of months ago, I was very surprised to hear 2 of my friends discussing it while we were out to lunch. Their 2 kids are just younger than Emmy, and they have already enrolled them in preschools for the fall. It is something that I hadn't even though about yet - Emmy will be 3 this summer, but preschool already? Maybe when she is 4... or maybe not at all.
Then I was reading one of my favorite blogs today, Suburban Turmoil (which you must read, because it is hilarious!), and it is about preschooling her 3 year old daughter as well.
Hmmm.... can people seriously afford this sort of thing? And do people seriously put themselves on waiting lists for years, hoping to be accepted into the right preschool? Apparently, they can and do.
So, here is my opinion.
If I do decide to send Emmy to preschool, it wouldn't be until she is 4, the year before she would start Kindergarten. However, I know that it is expensive, so maybe not. Our town has a little preschool at one of the churches that I wouldn't mind checking out, but that is all I am willing to do.
Secondly, it is preschool. 3 and 4 year olds running around, drawing pictures, having snack time, and playing on a playground. I can do that at home with Emmy for free. And she gets social interaction at Sunday School, gymnastics, and playgroups. Sounds good enough to me.


Besides, this kid is way beyond any preschool. Just look at her! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that picture!!

Anonymous said...

Funny you mention this...I am in the process of looking for a preschool for Steven. Daycare gives him the boot at 4 yrs, but now I have to find some other place I like. Not as easy as it sounds. I am actually looking into one right down the street from your old house on Northampton...I will let you know how it goes.

BTW, Erin gave me a "what to look for in a preschool" guide that she made. Let me know if you want to see it.

photomommy said...

I never sent Aaron to preschool...we couldn't afford it for one. Besides that, we had just had Taylor, we were both working full time and already dumping a ton of money into daycare. I was worried about it at first, but then he flourished so much in kindergarten that I knew I had made the right choice. Obviously Taylor is a different story...but her school is in the public school system, so we don't pay to send her there. I probably won't send Emma either.

trudesign said...

Very cute photo, I'm glad as a kid that I was home longer and I didn't even go to preschool - I turned out alright.... I think.. :)

Meow said...

I think you are on the right track. Emmy gets plenty of socialization, and I think she is ahead of the game anyway. Very smart little girl! Thank you so much for coming to see me yesterday. I love your kids so much. I will miss them and you next week. I'll give you a call when I get back so I can make a play date!

trudesign said...

Yes we need to do a video thing! I have a webcam on my new Mac, I need to do it more with you guys now!

Kate said...

Love the picture! That is a great one.

Although I don't have kids, I agree with the sentiment that if she is getting socialized elsewhere (which with church, play groups, gymnastics, etc) then she is fine. As an only child I think it set me back a little bit b/c I didn't know what the heck to do with children my own age. You guys seem to have made the right choice!!