Saturday, August 05, 2006

Big Boob

Now that I have your attention with my catchy title, I want to vent about something I just read. BabyTalk magazine, which is a free publication for parents and parents-to-be, put a close-up photo on their August cover of a baby breast feeding.

Aren't you shocked and disgusted??

Yahoo news featured an article about the controversial cover on Friday. You can read the article here. (It does have a picture of the cover as well so you will know why I am freaking out about this).

It is a baby who is breastfeeding, people. There isn't even any nipple. It is a side view of a woman's breast with a baby. On a cover of a baby magazine, which also contains an article about breastfeeding. That's it. It is not sexual in any way. You can see more boob than that at our local mall.

So, why are people making such a fuss about this? BabyTalk magazine recieved over 5000 letters from readers who were disgusted and angry about the photo. As the Yahoo article says, "I had to rip off the cover since I didn't want it laying around the house," one woman said. Seriously?? Another reader said that the photo made both her and her husband feel uncomfortable.

So, apparantly people are dumber than I originally thought. I am really shocked to hear about how people are reacting to this. The choice to breast feed your infant is a personal one - I don't have strong feelings either way. I know plenty of people who chose to bottle feed, and plenty who have breast fed. It doesn't matter to me. However, the fact that the American public is in an uproar about an innocent picture like this appalls me. I don't even know what else to say. Get over it. Seriously.

6 comments:

photomommy said...

You would think that in this day and age that people wouldn't be so anal (for lack of a better term) about someting like that. It's sad, really.

And, for the record, yes, people are dumb.

Kate said...

Wow, that's almost as risque as say, Demi Moore or Britney Spears posing nude on the cover of a magazine that sits right out in front at the grocery store.

Its a breast. Its for milk. Now if you show me ladies privates to show me where babies come from on the front of a magazine I may get upset (but some people may be very very interested)

Let's worry about bigger things than boobies!

photomommy said...

Aaron was an early walker, too...he took his first step shortly before he was 9 months old and was walking full on at 10 months!

Taylor was a different story, her autism has really clouded her development (although at the time we just thought she was a late bloomer)...she didn't start walking until about 6 months ago...that was scary...fortunately being in school is really helping her to come out of her shell and learn new things.

trudesign said...

this story cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

Angela and I were discusted at all the uproar as well. Angela picked up a copy of the magazine before all of the uproar because she is still breast feeding some of the time. She was just interested in the article. It I was just reading today where Janet Jackson has posed topless on the cover of a ladies magazine as well. I am with you Missy, get over it. Aunt Mo

Kate said...

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog Missy.

I'm sure that there is sunshine after the rain!