Monday, August 14, 2006

Gross Teeth Story

I have been meaning to blog about this for a few weeks now, but I got lazy. Anyways, several weeks ago, my mom had just gotten back from their trip to Michigan to visit our family. Then she mentioned something that totally shocked me. My sort-of-cousin's daughter(aunt's 2nd husband's daughter's kid whom I have once), who is 3 years old, has no front teeth. Apparantly, they all rotted out of her mouth from bottle rot.
This grosses me out. Now, I know that in the baby books and magazines, they always tell you not to put our child to bed with a bottle, or give your child too much sugary drinks, blah blah blah, but this is really the first time I have ever heard of a kid actually getting bottle rot. The poor kid now will have no teeth until her adult ones grow in, which I am guessing will be many years.
Yuck.
Is this more common than I think it is?? I can't imagine my 3-year old's teeth just rotting out of her mouth. Emmy has not used a bottle for a long time, and I dilute her juice with about 75% water, when I do give her juice. It does make me want to brush Emmy's little teeth more often. I would freak out if her baby teeth rotted out of her mouth.
(Maybe my friend the pediatric nurse will let me know how common this actually is.... hint hint) ;)



On a totally unrelated subject..

Sesame Street Quote of the Day:
"She can't make toast in a pumpkin!" ~ Maria



Happy Monday everyone!

6 comments:

photomommy said...

Funny...that's the first time I've ever heard of it happening either...gross!

trudesign said...

That is gross!! Yeah those are aunt nancy's feet, I had to take shots of them because she talked about how bright they were all day!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it does happen more often than one may think. You should know this Missy....just think back to how many pre-surgical H&P's you used to schedule when we worked together. Probably close to half of those were for dental procedures. When I took Steven to the dentist about a year ago he mentioned that bottle rot can happen with sippy cups too. His suggestion was that anything other that water should be given in a "real" cup...this includes milk. He encourages all parents to switch away from bottles/sippy cups/straws as soon as possible. I've included a website if you care to see what it actually looks like.... http://www.ada.org/public/topics/decay_childhood.asp

Missy said...

Thank you Andrea! Now we all know. :)

I know that we did schedule lots of H&P's, but I usually did not know what the surgeries were for. I really did not think that this was a common thing!

Anonymous said...

That is horrible and something I think about all the time. Untill G was about 25 months or so we were really bad and only brushed her teeth like every other day. I know...we are so so gross. But now she is brushing them at every diaper change and then I help her get the missed spots so she is brushing them like 5 times a day which is way better. We like to go from one extreme to another around here. I hope we didnt already do damamge those first months. BTW does Emmy only have those 4 bottom teeth at 2?

Missy said...

She has a total of 12 teeth. She is missing her eye teeth, but has her first set of all 4 molars. And she has 4 top front teeth. She was a late teether - 1st tooth at 14 months, 2nd tooth at 18 months. And since then she has gotten most of them. Her eye teeth will be in soon, they are just under the surface. Someday she will have all of them!