Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Safety Girl

Ray and I have always secretly made fun of kids who wore bike helmets, especially those who had the full body pads - knees, elbows, wrists, etc. Kids don't need helmets! We didn't wear helmets when we were kids, and we turned out fine! The scrapes and injuries we suffered were part of being a kid. And it wasn't like I never rode my bike - I lived on that thing. When we got Emmy her tricycle, we did not buy her a helmet. We are bad parents. For one thing, she is only like a foot off the ground on her tricycle. She would hurt herself worse if she was running and tripped and fell - and obviously I am not going to put her in full body armor every time she plays outside.

But today, my thinking suddenly changed. We got her one of those bike seats that attaches to Ray's bike. And there was no way I was going to let my baby girl ride on that thing without proper padding. She would be higher off the ground, and Ray's bike would be going much faster than her tricycle (which by the way, she still hasn't figured out that pedal thing). So, I now give you..... Safety girl.

She looks ridiculous. But at least I know she is a bit safer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you think she looks silly in that get-up, but it will keep her pretty little head in one piece!!!! OK, I'm off my nurse soapbox now....

Kate said...

She is so cute in that ridiculous getup! I'm with you-when I was a kid I used the backseat of the car as my own personal drawing table. Kids have a lot more safety now, but I wonder if it makes them weak...though I would definitely helmet my child on the back of a full sized bike. Too cute!!

trudesign said...

She couldn't be cuter!

photomommy said...

She looks adorable!

You'll find that as she gets older and starts school that so many things are different then when we were little...it's scary.