Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Random Meme

I was tagged a while back by Dana at Just Talk for this meme - and I have been a slacker but I finally have a minute to do it. Since I did the 100 things meme not too long ago, I am struggling to come up with 6 random things about me, but here we go....


The rules are:

* Link to the person that tagged you.
* Post the rules on your blog.
* Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
* Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
* Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.

1.) I dislike air conditioning. Which is stupid when you live in the South like me, since June - September are unbearably hot outside. It is already getting warm here, and my husband is complaining that it is hot in the house, but I REFUSE to turn the air on yet. It will be on nonstop for the next 6 months, so why start now?

2.) One of the jobs I held in high school was at Afterthoughts (later bought out by Claire's) as an "ear piercing professional". Funny how reading a pamphlet and practicing with piercing gun on a stuffed animal a few times at the age of 16 qualifies me as a professional. But it did, and I pierced hundreds of ears over the next year or so, including my own about 12 times.

3.) My very first job ever was detasseling corn. I was 13. It SUCKED. Among other things, there were lots of gross bugs, which would crawl inside your clothes. YUCK.

4.) I participated in cheerleading (both competitive and sideline) my senior year of high school despite the fact that most of my friends made fun of me because cheerleading was considered dorky at my small school. I LOVED it, and wish I had done it all 4 years of high school.

5.) I can sort of play the piano. I took lessons for years, and we now have a big keyboard that I rarely play due to lack of free time. But I still enjoy playing once and a while, even if I am not very good.

6.) I speak a little French. I took 3 years in high school and 1 semester in college, but that didn't amount to very much. I went to France for 2 weeks after I graduated and learned that in Paris most people (at least in the places we went) speak English as their second language, so why try??

OK, there you have it. 6 random things about me. I am not very happy with them, since they are not very exciting, but the meme is done nonetheless. I am not tagging anyone, because just about everyone has already done this one, but go ahead and consider yoursellf tagged if you have not yet. :)

15 comments:

moo said...

#1. Detassling corn sounds sucky.

#2. It's amazing what "qualifies" you, considering that you are dealing with (often) little kids' ears

#3. We also try to keep the A/C off as long as possible..

moo said...

#1. Detassling corn sounds sucky.

#2. It's amazing what "qualifies" you, considering that you are dealing with (often) little kids' ears

#3. We also try to keep the A/C off as long as possible..

moo said...

why did that just post twice? Grr.

Kate said...

I didn't realize how much we have in common. I too was a detassler, which was just an interesting time, especially with all the migrant workers and "punk kids".

Also a french taker, but could never speak it, even after taking a total of like 6 years of it, but man I can read that stuff!! Woo hoo!

Finally, did you take lessons from Mrs. Kline? I had to have been her worst student ever. EVER!

Missy said...

LOL Kate, I did take lessons from Mrs. Kline (everyone did!) But you are wrong, because I was her worst student ever, not you. ;)

Kate said...

I say we have a competition. Two pianos, one night, big money prize...it sounds like a great idea.

WANTED: BIG MONEY PRIZE DONATION FOR THIS COMPETITION.

Missy said...

LOL, as soon as someone donates that money for this incredibly worthwhile cause, I'm in. ;)

Kat said...

I used to love shucking corn when I was little. Of course, I didn't have to do it for hours at a time.
Great meme!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

My favorite was definitely detasseling corn. WHO KNEW that was a job? Not me! I bet you were REALLY good at it though! :)

This was fun.

Andrea said...

I am with you on the air conditioning thing! I really don't like it at all...my hubby is always turning it on and I'm always turning it off! haha. :) Oh well.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I didn't know detassling corn was a PAYING JOB! LOL And you win the award for the most amazing jobs.. ear piercing professional. I'm going to start mentioning that one as a career! ;-) **so grinning**

My first PAYING job was at a McDonalds. lol

Missy said...

I just wanted to add that detasseling corn could BARELY be considered a paying job - they paid us less than minimum wage, which at the time was like $3/hour. ;)

AND it sucked.

Dana said...

YAY!!! I'm glad you did the Meme... I loved learning more about you.. Very cool!!

Anonymous said...

No making fun of detassling corn, it paid for my Super Nintendo back in the day!! : )

Anonymous said...

I think they are all interesting, im
new to your blog to find it a great
way to learn more about you.

Most European places are like that and you very rarely find someone who does not speak English.