Friday, May 02, 2008

Ugly Shoes

I remember one of the first times I saw someone wearing Crocs. He was an older gentleman, heavyset and wearing plaid shorts, a brightly colored t-shirt, and neon pink Crocs. We were out to dinner, some place like Applebees, and I could not stop staring at this guy's shoes. Because I thought that he looked ridiculous. One, because Crocs are not generally considered attractive footwear, and two, a man wearing bright pink plastic shoes is funny to me. I thought maybe he was very color blind? Or maybe he had grabbed his wife's beach shoes by mistake? Either way, I found this picture and it reminds me a bit of that guy I saw....
After that day, I started seeing people wearing these funny shoes all the time, and I swore that I would never wear them. Or my kids would never wear them. I didn't care if they were supposedly comfortable. I would NOT buy them. If you happen to love these shoes, I am not trying to be mean - I just find them to be funny looking.
Well..... Emmy and I were in Target this week looking at the shoes, because I wanted to find some sort of flip flop that she could wear outside while playing in the sprinkler, since our grass is kinda poky. And I ended up buying these....



And she loves them. I still think they are ugly. But for $6.99 they will make fine sprinkler shoes. Don't expect to see us out in public with them though! ;)

12 comments:

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Hilarious!! I am not big on them either, but my Brian (boyfriend) is. He is a HUGE Clemson fan so when he came across some bright (and I mean BRIGHT) orange ones that said CLEMSON in white on them, he just had to get them. And, there for a while he wore them all the time - We would start out the house and I would look at him and ask 'are you really going to wear those out in public'? I would just walk about 5 or 10 feet behind him!!! Goofy - I'll have to get a pic and post on my blog!

Kate said...

I almost bought a pair because I needed something good for the garden that I could rinse off before I got back in the car.

They are ugly...and the main reason I didn't get one is that I'd be that guy (i'm already 'that guy' with a prius) and I know I'd wear them other than in the garden.

Anonymous said...

How can you make fun of Mario Batali?? *LOL* I LIVE in my crocs. My husband was so blown away yesterday when I had my Docs on instead because my yellow/pink crocs just weren't going to cut it with that outfit. But yes we are a family of crocs. K-Girl is in her 4th or 5th pair now. I desperately need a new pair as I have worn them *almost* daily for the last 3 years. *L* And K-Girl wanted to get Daddy a pair of them for Father's Day last year. I love me some crocs...the brighter the better. So can you still talk to me??

moo said...

I agreed with you up until Thanksgiving of last year. Then, a good friend of mine wore black mary jane style ones with blue jeans .... and I coveted. I wanted. So I bought, as my own little christmas present to myself.

ZOMG they are AWESOME. I don't even care how they look, they are so awesome.

Toni said...

I have a pair. Or two... *blushing* Honestly, the most comfy pair of shoes ever. I wear them in the house doing house work and are great to do yard stuff because they spray off. Also, easy to slip on and go to WalMart or softball games. The older I get, the more important comfort is. Try them, you'll become a believer, too. My daughter is in her 3rd pair from wearing them out! Honest!

Missy said...

You guys are making me laugh. I don't care if they are the most comfy shoes in the world. I CAN'T wear them. Too ugly.
Like I said already, Emmy LOVES hers though. ;)

Anna said...

I have to admit I own a pair of crocs. I only bought them because they are perfect shoes to wear outside, because if they get dirty I can easily wash them off. I'll admit though...they are pretty ugly!

Anonymous said...

You're right, Missy... Crocs are ugly. I mean hit-by-the-ugly-truck kind of ugly.

Kind of like those jelly-shoes from Middle School! :D

dawn224 said...

1st - the photos of you? So cute!

I'm so anti croc ... but every time I see them in Alex's size I have to force myself to WALK AWAY!

Andrea said...

I'm with you on the fact that crocks are ugly!! I hate the looks of them too...and so far we have zero pairs of them in our house...it'll probably stay that way. I hope! haha. :)

Dana said...

i really don't like them either.. I mean they are cute on little kids.. But I still think they are ugly too.. But they seem to be really comfortable - I think that's why chefs wear them, who knows!! LOL

Sherry at the Zoo said...

I have to confess that I own a red pair, a pink pair, a tan pair, a brown lined pair, and a black pair. And my daughter has MORE than me, my sons each have several pairs, and my husband has multiple pairs!

BUT hear me out. Crocs (the real ones, not the imitation) are washable in teh washing machine (and come out marvelous). They mold to your feet and feel scrumpiously wonderful AND they are antimicrobial in the sense that NOTHING will stick to them. It's the patented polymer that they are made with. That's the unique point, and the fakes are not made of this polymer. It's what makes crocs, crocs.

So, there you have it. More than you ever wanted to know about crocs!

Will you still come and visit me even though I love crocs? LOL!