For the most part, I don't mind. I know that soon enough he will not need me so much, and I will have to beg him to give me hugs, or to let me read him a book, so I am trying to appreciate the clingyness and take the opportunity to love on him and enjoy his babyhood. However, a little independence would be nice... if I could make dinner without him hanging on my leg, or if I could go out to get the mail without him standing at the door crying.
The biggest problem right now is at church. Every Sunday he goes to the nursery with the other babies, but I am usually in the nursery with him. This is because I am one of 2 lead nursery workers, which means that more often than not, I am in there with the babies while their parents go to service. I love it - playing with a group of cute babies for an hour is fabulous. And of course my little guy is in there with me too.
However, the weeks that I am not scheduled to volunteer - Pooky freaks out. Screaming, crying, will not let anyone touch him. And then, because I am a softie when it comes to him, if I hear him crying for longer than 5-10 minutes, I go and get him. Ray is just as bad. Not only do I hate to see him so upset, but I feel bad for the other nursery workers who forced to deal with his hysterics.
There are only a few people who Pooky is okay with if I do leave - Ray, my sister Aunt "Ki-Ki", and my parents. And because I am home with him 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, he is rarely away from me, so I understand why he has gotten this way. But, what do I do?? After he turns 2, which is less than 2 months from now, he will go to the next class at church, which worries me. Plus, it would be nice to be able to use the bathroom in peace...
Any advice?
(sorry for the old picture - my camera is acting fruity and I don't have any recent ones of him...)


12 comments:
I went through the exact same thing with Emma. I really think it's an age thing. Emma was right around Pooky's age (probably younger)when it got really bad. Eventually, she grew out of it (well, almost, we have relapses every now and again). We try to keep her busy as I leave so she doesn't notice.
It will get easier as he gets older, I promise!
Hmmm....this is a tough one. My children were used to other people. Up until this past May, they have either been in a daycare or with a private babysitter. I think that MADE them independent from a young age. That may be one of the only benefits of day care! :)
I would continue trying to leave him in the nursery for longer and longer, if you can take it. I don't know of any parent who can handle listening to their child flip out like that. But, like I said, leave him for bits at a time. Is it possible to step back and not be in the nursery as much? Just wondering...
Also keep in mind that he is young and in one of the stages where they develop the attachment. I've got my money on him growing out of it soon.
I agree with the other ladies. It's an age thing he will grow out of. You never see 16 year olds clinging to their mom's leg. LOL! It should pass in the next few months or so.
Thanks for visiting my blog. That's weird that you can see the ticker because I can't see it at all! I wonder what's up with that??
i'm sure he'll grow out of it... i know it's hard - i see this kind of thing at school all the time...i know this sounds horrible, but it actually makes it easier to drop and run... when you hang around and try an console him it makes it worse, especially if you end up staying or taking him with you!
Yeah...I think this is a fairly normal thing too! Tate went through this stage too, but a little bit earlier than Pooky, and it didn't last too long. How long has Pooky been doing this for now?
He has been doing it for a while, at least 6 months or so, but it just seems to be getting worse now. Like I said, it doesn't help that I am with him all day every day!
Oh girl, i know what you mean about using the bathroom in peace. if i do happen to make it in there without Avery seeing and he realizes that is where i am he will cry at the door or try to look under it.
And yes, let's plan a trip to the zoo.... What's good for you?
We had the same problem with the baby. Unfortunately we have too many responsibilities at the church that, for once in our lives, is not being in the nursery so we had to make Hoss cry it out. It worked but it was hard. Mostly because I felt sorry for the nursery worker having to deal with him. But it only took a couple of weeks. Good luck! That's a tough one since you are in there so much of the time.
I wish I had some advice, but I'll be coming back to check out your comments for advice. We've taken a church hiatus for this very reason. Very frustrating.
Kaelin's very attached to me as well and it breaks my heart to hear her cry!
Oh, Missy! I tagged you! And your hubby, too. He hasn't blogged in a while, so maybe he'll do this. :)
No advice here as I am dealing with the same exact thing- especially at church!
Post a Comment