I do not enjoy talking on the phone.
Now, I don't mind talking to Ray or my family members, but that's about it. I definitely prefer email, and if there is a way to do something through the Internet versus the phone, then the Internet will always win. And Ray is the same way - we will argue over who has to call the bank or the cable company if there is a problem. We started ordering our pizza online, all catalog orders are placed online, and now even my doctor's office can schedule appointments though email - wonderful!
I am not exactly sure why I don't like the phone. Maybe it is because I don't really know what to say - lots of "ummm" and "uh, yeah, well..." type of phrases come out of my mouth. So I feel like a moron when I have to call my builder to tell him that the countertop in the bathroom is peeling off.
Anyway, my 10-year high school class reunion is this year, and a couple of months ago I somehow got roped into helping with planning. My job right now is to find everyone, and to get home and email addresses. The good thing is that I graduated from a very small high school with just 70 people in my class, and Ray and I are 2 of them.
For the most part, I was able to use the Internet to find everyone. I already had a few email addresses from people I still keep in touch with. And MySpace was wonderful - there are 20-25 people from my graduating class on there, and I was also able to find several others though siblings who happen to be on Myspace (another good thing about a small school - I know everyone's siblings). I also found a few addresses through the white pages online. And then through all of those people, I would find other people, and so on. Over 2 months I have found 58 out of 70 people, which I don't think is too bad considering the fact that I live 14 hours from my home town and have only used the Internet to find these people.
Until today - a few weeks ago I received an email from a former classmate with a list of phone numbers she had - 3 of which were people I was still looking for. I put it off for a while, then this morning I decided to make the phone calls. But I was dreading it.
I made quick note of what I would say, so that I didn't sound like such an idiot, figuring that I would get voice mails, because who actually answers their phone if they don't recognize the number on the caller ID? Surprisingly, 2 of the 3 actually answered the phone, and I got through a quick conversation to get the information I needed for the reunion without too much pain.
Where am I going with this? I have no idea... I really just wanted to complain about having to call these people who I have not seen or spoken to in 10 years. Hopefully I will not have to do much more of that. And I am happy with the fact that I can conduct most business manners though the Internet.


9 comments:
Can I complain about someone making me go to something that I REALLY DON"T WANT TO GO TO?
Tell Ray I feel his pain. I don't really WANT to go, but there are people I want to see (like you two, for example).
Who are you missing still? Maybe I can help...
Oh, yeah, I hate calling people, too. Internet all the way.
come on... it might be fun. I don't necessarily care to see everyone we graduated with, but there are several who I would.
It has actually been really interesting hearing what people have been up to over the past 10 years!
Chantelle, I will email you a list of who's left.
No... no part will be fun
Geez, Missy, can't you CALL me and give me the list?
LOL...sorry...I couldn't resist!
I'll go with you with Ray won't!
Done.... I'm out
ugh. I totally understand. I will go to any length to avoid the phone. I was ecstatic over Christmas break when friend and I could make our entire 'plan to meet' over text messages.
I agree with the phone thing. That's why they invented text messaging : ) -Christie
Post a Comment