Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Picky Eater

Emmy has become a very picky eater. On most days, she doesn't eat much food. She rarely says that she is hungry and I feel like most meals are a battle to get her to at least eat something. It has gotten slightly better over the past couple of weeks, but it is very tiring fighting with her about it at every meal. I try not to worry about it, because I figure if she was truly hungry, she would eat, plus she is healthy and happy. She just has better things to do than eat, I guess. Interestingly, she does like to eat green beans and canned carrots. And she loves fruit.

I have found a few tricks that seem to help:

Ranch Dressing - she loves it. We usually put a little on her plate and can dip her food in it. It is especially good for chicken and other meats, the stuff she really doesn't want to eat.
Rainbow Sprinkles-if a few rainbow sprinkles will get her to eat her oatmeal for breakfast, I am all for it.
Yogurt Smoothies - She also loves these. So, on mornings when she decides not to eat breakfast, I can almost always get her to drink a smoothie. Better than nothing, right?

Anyone else with picky eaters out there? I would love some new ideas for healthy meals and snacks that she might eat!

*** Don't forget about "Bad Photo Day" coming up in Thursday!!********

8 comments:

Ultimate Exposure said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
trudesign said...

Those are some good tricks you have though, the sprinkles cracks me up!

Bren said...

Oh, I am so going to try the rainbow sprinkles on the oatmeal and the smoothie. Mine won't eat ranch dressing but they love honey. So, I let them eat it with their veggies. I figure it's a good trade off.

kim said...

My kids both eat very well.... but my daughter never seems to want breakfast. I let her choose something, even if it's a cheese sandwich, that she will eat. It makes me feel better that she's got something in her. I think she'd be fine to wait until lunch.

Sherry at the Zoo said...

I remember when my son was in K and I had to take him to the ER for croup. At that time, he was so skinny that the Dr said he was 2 pounds away from the law requiring that he report him to CPS.

NOW, at the age of 12, he weighs about 130 pounds. From my experience with my three, when they are going through a growth spurt, they'll eat. If they don't eat, chances are they aren't in a growing mode and don't need as many calories.

So, I guess bottom line my suggestion would be to just go with the flow, don't make it a big deal (if you make it a battle then it may develop into a control issue). Just serve her lots of variety, lots of nutritious stuff, and when her body needs it, she'll eat.

Anonymous said...

my daughter loves anything she can dip food into. haha. except ketchup, she hates ketchup.

Anonymous said...

You are such a great mom, Missy! Both my girls were extremely picky! I could usually get them to eat "ants on a log" (celery, peanut butter & raisins); I made pudding and froze them into pops - at least they were getting some milk; made trail mix out of peanuts, sunflower seeds & raisins; cut up apples w/peanut butter to dip them in. We made deli-plates a lot w/cookie cutter cut outs made out of cheese & lunch meat - or sandwiches cut w/cookie cutters. Usually, if they "helped" make it, they would eat it better. It can be such a pain, I know, I always was worring about how little Francy was. There is a really easy recipe to make carmel apple dip out of sour cream, butter & brown sugar, which is great for fruit dipping. That's my 2-cents worth. Love You Loads!! Wama Toonoo

melissa rohr said...

the deceptively delicious cookbook is AWESOME!

all the recipes seem to be a lot of work, but after 4 years of god knows what going into my 4-year olds tummy...i'm in it whole heartedly.

haha, ranch sure seems to be the kids 'universal' eat anything serum. my daughter would eat sticks if there was a side of ranch with them.

i'll have to try sprinkles though-that is a great idea.

smoothies are a great way to sneak in those veggies and healthy fruits! and if it starts to taste a little funny, i add a drip or so of honey or a little sprinkle of sugar to keep it sweet!