Monday, August 18, 2008

Miss Safety

Back when we had cable (which by the way, I really don't miss it too much), Emmy watched a lot of Playhouse Disney. They had a short 5 minute show aired frequently called Lou and Lou Safety Patrol. One of the episodes was about riding in the car, featuring rules to follow to be safe in the car.

Despite the fact that Emmy has not seen the show in months, she still remembers the safety "rules" as demonstrated by Lou and Lou. You would think that this is a good thing - and it sort of is. She always makes sure everyone is buckled up (we always are anyway), and yesterday I overheard her tell Pooky to stop yelling, because it was "distracting the driver" (those were her exact words). But the one that I keep getting caught with is talking on the cell phone while driving.

Don't get me wrong - it's not like I chat on my phone all the time. But, there are times that I do need to use my phone briefly while driving. Like to tell my friend we are running late to meet her at the playground, or to quickly call Ray to ask him something I just remembered. In my opinion, no big deal. But, Emmy is always quick to remind me...

"Mommy! You aren't supposed to talk on a cell phone while driving. It is not safe!"

*sigh*
Of course she is right. So, what am I supposed to do? I put the phone away. Leave it to Emmy to keep us all safe...
And, it really does bug me to see other drivers chatting away on their phones while driving like idiots, so I know that this isn't a bad thing, but it is driving me crazy. She caught me twice this week! What are the chance that she will forget that safety rule any time soon?? ;)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's a sharp one, isn't she? I'm sure she'll forget after a while. :)

Anonymous said...

These kids...they just say what they want, huh? Frick told me the other day to slow down! I don't speed! I am the one getting passed on the road!

Anonymous said...

Why is it that they only remember the rules we would rather they forget?

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Oh yes Playhouse Disney - that is what we watch every Saturday and Sunday morning - Avery just likes the dog on the safety patrol!

Anna said...

Too cute...I'm sure she will forget that rule, once she learns another one, lol.

Anonymous said...

Tell Daddy that Emmy needs to get Mommy a bluetooth headset for Christmas (unless your birthday comes sooner). ;)

melissa rohr said...

haha, adorable!

z had a police officer come to preschool and talk to them about driving rules and being safe - so i get it all the time too! mostly about the phone...ooops.

Dana said...

oh she's too cute!! and very smart!!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Ah, yes. Dontcha just love it when kids remember the crap you don't THINK they will!

OY!

kim said...

Ha! Like little sponges... they soak up everything then never forget.
Now if we could just get them to behave in the car (my son) we would be such better drivers.