Friday, August 01, 2008

Photostory Friday - Surprise!

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek



And just after I promised not to blab on about my vacation any more....

The last day of vacation was the day before Emmy's 4th birthday. Although we were having a party for her at our house later, we also decided to have a small party for her with the family on vacation.

She had recently seen the movie Wall-E with Daddy, and loved it. Right before we left on our trip, we had seen some Wall-E party decorations at our Walmart, and she got all excited and decided that she wanted a Wall-E themed birthday party. No problem.

Well, the day of her party, Ray and I go to Walmart for party gear, and of course, this Walmart has no Wall-E party decor. In fact, they hardly had any party decor at all. So, we settled for some basic red balloons (her favorite color!) and some silvery-shiny Happy Birthday banners (trying to go for the metal-robot theme here). Ray found a wall poster from the movie, and that was it. While Emmy was out with Grandma Tunu, I hung the poster, banners, and a bunch of the balloons. We also had a cake and most everyone got her a present, which were piled on the counter. I think that despite our lack of options, we did a pretty good job.
When Emmy got home, I was so excited to see her face, especially when she saw the Wall-E poster. She walked in and everyone was yelling "Happy Birthday! Surprise!". This was her reaction.
(sorry for the fuzzy shot)

Not exactly jumping up and down with excitement.
At least she sort of smiled. I think she was just trying to figure out what everyone was doing, since we were all standing there, anticipating the reaction. Oh, well.

She did later comment on the poster, and she wanted to hang it in her bedroom, which we did. The party was still a success, and my little girl was happy with her Wall-E themed party, even if it didn't turn out exactly as I had imagined. :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to us when we did Taylor's party. It was set for the day after we got back from Chicago...

I wanted to do a Barbie theme. We got a cake, but I could not find any Babrie party things.

We improvised, pink balloons, streamers, plates, etc.

Barbie used to be everywhere. I think she was replaced by Hannah Montana. (Who Taylor could care less for.)

Glad Emmy enjoyed her party!

Kate said...

What a little cutie!

And thanks for the update on the gents at the reunion. I had a lot of trouble recognizing people!

Susie said...

oh, those darn expectations! at least she sort of smiled;) she's way cute though-and Happy Birthday Emmy!
I think your effort to please her should be on the record-great job Mom! silly Walmart-what were they thinking not stocking up for you?

Amanda-The Family News! said...

that is so cute though!!! I am glad she had a great birthday - and that you all had a great vacation!!!

Jaysi said...

I love the expression. We had that same experience when my son got his train table for Christmas that he had been wanting for months. Hmmm...can't they just try to give us the excitement we want? :)

Danielle said...

That is a classic face. I think I made the same one for my bridal shower! Wall-E was awesome!

Dana said...

glad she had a nice party... BTW - the DVD will be in the mail tomorrow.... I had a hectic week, sorry!!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh what a cutie - that face is perfect. The birthday partay and the vacation sounds very succesful!

Cecily R said...

I've done the same thing...dreamed of one reaction and gotten another from my kids. Still, the look on her face IS adorable. I'm glad she liked the party once she warmed up to the idea of everyone staring at her. Gotta love kids!

Great PSF. LOOOVE the shot.

Anonymous said...

How sweet is that! I love her little surprised grin. :-)

Anna said...

I love that reaction. Even if it wasn't what you were expecting it is still cute!

Btw, I loved Wall-E too!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Happy birthday to your little girl!

Munchkins and Music said...

That is funny. Things don't always go as I imagine they will with my kid's reactions either. For example, I will be so excited to give them a present, and when they open it, they are not as excited as I think they should have been. Oh well...they are fun anyway!

Robyn said...

You never know what they are thinking sometimes do you.

Andrea said...

A surprise party! How fun...even though she was probably wondering what everyone was doing! haha. :) I'm glad she had fun though!

Carrie said...

Oh, how funny! Isn't that the way it goes? :)

Been there myself. We even had the video camera all set up as we were expecting screams of joy at the new gift we got our son. He barely acknowledged it, let alone screamed!

Gotta love 'em.
:)