So, I have been thinking about something new. Kelli at Gohn Crazy has inspired me to start thinking about cloth diapering. It is not something I have really considered before. When we had Emmy, I automatically used disposables. Ray had mentioned it to me once, but like I said, I really didn't give it much thought. Now, here I am, now with 2 kids, probably a 3rd one in the future, a gazillion diapers used and thrown out with no end in sight. Maybe cloth diapering would be the way to go....???
The cloth diaper world is a bit overwhelming to me right now. I have been doing some research and trying to figure out terms like prefolds and AIO's. My biggest concern, other than learning the basics, is start up cost, although I realize that in the long run, it would be much cheaper to use cloth.
The cleaning and laundering process doesn't bother me. I do a ton of laundry now, so what is a few more loads a week? And the cleaning of poopy diapers is nothing new, and doesn't bother me in the least. The use of pins sounded scary, but now they make these cool Snappi things that you can use instead of pins. Even the plastic diaper covers that we all wore as babies have been replaced with cute, comfy covers.
There a lot of options out there, and I am still trying to decide if this is worth a shot. Pook is 16 months old, so we still have another year or so of diapers for him, plus diapers for a future baby to come.....
What should I do?? Have you ever used or considered cloth diapering?? And the real question is, am I really crazy?? Maybe you shouldn't answer that. :)
And if you have ever considered cloth diapering, check out Kelli's blog, she has a LOT of really good info there. Thanks Kelli, you rock.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I had a good friend who used cloth diapers and she raved about them. Her kids loved them as well and when old enough would complain loudly about having to wear disposable when they were going out. (She used them at home, but if they were going to church she put disposable on them). She had researched the chemicals that they use in diapers to absorb moisture and was opposed to disposable for this reason.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sherry at the Zoo
we've debated too. still in disposables though.
I used them - my mom used them (true, no disposables then)- It is a hassle at times, but worth the cost savings alone. I will be glad to donate a dozen or so diapers to your start up fund :). (Or - the cost of diaper service used to be about the same as the cost of disposable) Kiss my sweetheart & little Bud. LYL - mom
I never considered it but since I have been blogging I realize that they are not as cumbersome as I believed in the past. If I were to have another child, I would certainly consider it. Not saying I would do it, saying I would at least consider it.
Yay!! YES YOU SHOULD DO IT! hehe I started with my daughter at 15ish months and I am so happy I did. Not only did it save me diapers with her, but I think it was great that I started and used her as my guinea pig so that in the whole newborn craziness I wasn't trying to learn something new, ya know? It's already overwhelming enough with a newborn but if you start with your toddler then you would have a good grip on what's going on...and he may PT faster since he can feel the wetness...well depending on what you do. Seriously though e-mail me any time with questions. I'm here to help. And thank you for the linky love. :)
Wow. Call me inspired. Kelli rocks with clother diapering. I don't think I could realistically last one day, let alone 1 diaper change.
I give you SO much credit!
I have friends that use them and they LOVE them. As their sometimes childcare provider I love them too because they aren't much of a hassle for me either.
I raised both Angela and Nathan on cloth diapers. I loved them. Mitch was a big help. I think it is the best thing and it is hard to start up but once you have it is not hard. You can use diaper covers too. Good luck and I think you will be happier. Not to mention the savings. Love Aunt Mo
Post a Comment