Sunday, July 06, 2008

My Poor Little Girl

A couple of years ago, Emmy woke up with her eye completely swollen shut. (seriously, click on the link - it is kinda funny). I freaked out and we took her to the pediatrician, who confirmed that it was a mosquito bite on her eyelid, and she just had a bad reaction to it. We were told to give her some Benadryl and she would be fine in a couple of days - which she was.
Since then, every mosquito bite she gets swells up and looks just awful. Then, Thursday evening she was outside for about 1 minute while we walked from the car to the house, she got bitten on her cheek, just under her eye. The next day she looked like this:



















Then, on Friday while we were at the cookout, she got 2 more bites on her face, despite being covered in insect repellent. One bite is on her forehead, and one is on the bridge of her nose. Of course they swelled right up too. Yesterday, she looked like this:

My poor baby! The bites don't seem to be bothering her, but her face is just all puffy. Depending on how it looks in the morning, I might take her back to the doctor. I have been giving her Benadryl, but it doesn't seem to do much. Like I said, it is not itching her, so I guess that all we can really do is just wait for the swelling to go down in a couple of days. Any suggestions??

21 comments:

Ellen said...

wow that would be scary the first time around.. you feel so bad for the poor girl - at least she's dealing with it well :) those nasty bugs!!

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Oh no - the swollen area between the eyes doesn't look good at all. I would take her for sure if she still looks like that in the morning. Avery got bit by something on the back of his leg the other day and it swelled up pretty good, but never seemed to bother him. It is a little scab now.
Poor baby girl..let me know, I am curious.

Danielle said...

awe! I wish I had some helpful advie. Please keep us posted.

Andrea said...

The exact same thing happens to my son!! I'm open to suggestions too though!

Anonymous said...

Ok, here is my nurse advice (we have been getting A LOT of calls about bug bites lately!)...

The pictures you posted look like a typical kid’s reaction to a bug bite on the face. The face is like a mask with a lot of blood vessels, which means any mosquito bite (or any bug bite for that matter) in and around the eyes are going to make the eyes swell up. Things may start to look better through out the day as Emmy is up and about, but as soon as she lies down again, the fluid is going to accumulate again and make the puffy appearance worse. This will continue for at least 3-4 days, but it could take up to a week for all of the swelling to go away. This is all a normal reaction, and there is nothing to speed it up. Benadryl may or may not help. If you are not seeing any difference after giving it, I would hold any other doses. You could try some cool compresses, especially first thing in the AM and right after naps when the swelling would be at its worst. If it doesn't seem to be bothering her, I would leave it be. It is more of an eye sore to you than anything else. If there is any red streaking, fever, drainage, or if things have not improved after a week, call your pediatrician for an appointment.

Sherry at the Zoo said...

I think Andrea pretty well sums it up!

Boy, she is growing up quick though, isn't she? She's beautiful - bumps and all!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Poor baby! I don't know of any advice to offer.

Anna said...

Awww, so I feel so bad for your daughter! I hope those clear up fast! Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Missy, My middle son gets mosquito bites that swell like these, to the size of walnuts. It's so weird, isn't it? Our doctor said he's basically allergic to these bites, and although it doesn't hurt him, the bumps are larger and last longer than with my other boys. I don't even bother with the Benadryl anymore because it makes him so sleepy. This year, we did buy those Therma-Cell things for the yard, and they do seem to help. I think they sell them at Home Depot--might be worth checking it out. Good luck!

Cecily R said...

Poor kid! I wish I had a suggestion for you but if Benedryl isn't working I got nothin. Andrea sounds like she knows what she's talking about though!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! I'd have freaked out...but I guess you're used to it now.

Dana said...

omg!! poor thing... I can't believe how swollen she gets from the bites....
I hope she starts to feel better soon.. Please keep me posted!!!

Anonymous said...

How's Emmy doing today?

Missy said...

UPDATE ~ Emmy's face is doing much better today. The swelling has gone done almost completely, although it is still a bit discolored - almost like it is bruised a bit. I think that over the next couple of days it will be completely better. Thank you for all of your concern. :)

Anonymous said...

Did you try the hydrocortisone that is a topical? It might take the swelling down a little.

Anonymous said...

Emmy and Taylor are two of a kind when it comes to bugs.

Poor girls.

kim said...

Lauren had that reaction to mosquito bites no matter where they were. This year, our dr put her on pediatric zyrtec for seasonal allergies. No more puffy swollen bug bites.

Milk Mama said...

Oh no!!! Poor Emmy! she's so darling! She has such big beautiful blue eyes!
Thank you for stopping by my blog!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Poor Emmy! *hugs* I have no idea. I would think the Benadryl would help some, but I have no idea what to do in the mean time. I heard about mixing citrinalla oil and lotion and using that for misquito repellant??? But I don't know if it would help or not. If you want I can find the exact info.

Ashlee said...

Whoa! You might should buy some stock in Off Skintastic Spray! Bless her heart...I hope the swelling goes down soon!

Bren said...

Just catching up...how scary! I HATE mosquitos. Glad she's getting better now.