Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Goodbye Cable

Effective at midnight tonight ( about 1 1/2 hours away) we will no longer have cable TV.

(dramatic pause as you all gasp in shock)

Yep, no more cable. In effort to save some money, plus not completely rot our brains, we have canceled our cable. That is about $50 in savings per month, and perhaps we will even get a little more family time in. Or maybe I will read a book or something.

Who am I kidding? I will just be on the Internet even more, because we can't drop Internet (Ray's work pays for it since it is required for his computer geek job).

Truthfully, I don't watch too much TV. My husband does, and my kids watch way too much. I will miss our DVR though, which always has something fun recorded on it. It definitely comes in handy to have an episode or two of Bob the Builder for Pooky to watch on a fussy day. But, no more DVR either.

We can get our local channels in pretty clearly without cable, so we will still have those. The kids can still watch a few shows in the morning on PBS and I can still watch The Office. But the next couple of weeks might be interesting until we are used to it.

On that note, I had better go watch some cable TV. Only a little over an hour left.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We lived for awhile with no cable and really, it wasn't the end of the world. You're going to get a LOT of quality family time! (this is a good thing!)

Life As I Know It said...

I bet you won't miss it at all!

Kate said...

I never had cable until college. We don't have a choice here since we can't get the local (DC) channels, but I lived without tv at the cottage and I read so many books and watched movies.

You will have a great time of it and frankly, who watches tv in the summer anyway?

Toni said...

Yeah, you will probably be happy to have canceled it in a few weeks.

Anna said...

Mike and I should probably cancel ours too, because we barely watch it, so it is just a waste of money. Good for you for canceling it...I'm sure you will be really happy with your decision!

Amanda-The Family News! said...

Oh I SO need to do this. I just about have heart failure every time the cable bill comes in the mail - it is HIGHER than my power bill. I keep on Brian about it - he is the one who watches it. I at least would like to get rid of the movie channels. We do have netflix and can watch movies that way! He stays on the computer (stupid computer games) and so do I - so we don't need TV anyway! Good for you!!

Missy said...

We do also have Netflix, so we have plenty of opportunities to watch movies. I think that we will be okay. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah! If you can still get The Office, you'll be TOTALLY fine. Lots more time for Legos and Brios now, and although that can be exhausting, I think it's more than worth it in the long run. Enjoy your newfound freedom.

L said...

I've never had cable but my bf does. He has no idea how I deal without it but honestly, it's really not a big deal. You don't even notice the lack of it.

Anonymous said...

When we first moved into this house, we didn't have tv period for 3 weeks. We survived, but our DVD's got a lot of use!

Sherry at the Zoo said...

You will do GREAT! I've read several book on giving up the tv and honestly, I applaud you. I would LOVE to give it up...except I can't go to sleep without noise...isn't that weird?

Andrea said...

We've never had cable...and that is one thing that I keep saying we'll never get. :) Too much stuff to watch then...and I think that there's much better things to do than sit in front of a tv most of the day... ;)

Danielle said...

That might be a good thing. Sometimes I wish we had no tv. I hate when my husband puts it on all day.

kim said...

The good news is that there's nothing to miss until the new season starts this fall......

honestly, I think cable is one of those things you can live without. I could do it, not sure about the husband, though....